Subscribe to this feedHow to Write a Blog Post
We love ghostwriting blogs for clients. It’s breezy; it’s fun; and it splits responsibilities efficiently: expertise on one side (our clients’), and delivery on the other (ours).
Of course, ghostwriting a blog post is free of baggage. When you write your own blog, you need to wrestle with a host of issues that range from lack of perspective to marathon bouts of procrastination. Haven't posted for six months? Join the club!
Still, as blog ghostwriters, we have picked up a few tips on how to write blog posts that both gain attention--and also give YOU a sense of pleasure to craft! Here they are:
1. Never blog from a place of guilt, despair, or obligation. Not only are these wellsprings of drought, they’re also imaginary (just ask your best friend!). Instead, pull on delight & triumph: like mid-rise jeans, you’ll be amazed at how comfortably they fit.
2. Relatedly, good blogs don’t rise from struggle. Who wants to read that? Take a walk; read the Times; call an associate. Clear your heart.
3. Don't make the mistake of thinking your blog is about words. It’s not. It’s about concepts. From these lovely pulpits, the words will tumble (trust us!).
4. If your brain is going in new directions, see where it takes you. If it’s running amok, see #2.
5. Don’t feel like you have to put everything in there. To paraphrase our friend Rochelle Lisner (a business coach): No one knows if you left a chunk of your speech inside your brain. Only you know what you were “supposed” to say. The rest…is happy accident.
6. Do figure out your topic first, then adorn it with your personality. Don’t start with personality, then adorn with topic. It won’t have any substance.
7. Do. Not. Ramble.
8. Don’t be literal about your message. Figure out how it will also shower the world. Be it a new idea, a nifty tool, words of wisdom: you’re not writing it for you. This is “don’t play small” for the Dexter set.
I hope these come in handy for your next blog post. By all means, post your comments, and let us know how it goes!