Staff Writer: On-Site Role (11249)
You find joy in playing with different ways to persuade, using "only" words. You love learning complex things, and explaining them to others. You have powerful integrity and commitment to people and to projects. You know that writing is a solo endeavor—but you relish the idea of getting the support and input of a cohesive, fun, smart, and like-minded team.
Working on-site at MarketSmiths is an intense opportunity to accelerate your mastery of great writing. Day-to-day, you are presented with worthy challenges, such as:
- Can I really understand this complicated industry—then write about it compellingly for people who know much more about it than me?
- Can I really condense all of this new knowledge into a few pithy pages? (yes)
- How do I capture the attention of a total stranger, on the page? How do I turn dry into captivating, and bland into riveting?
- How do I make this message more compelling, more actionable, more effective?
- What’s a fresh way to say this old thing?
Job Requirements. Please:
- Possess a solid base of logic and business common sense
- Write fluent, error-free English with a compelling human sensibility
- Be curious, driven to understand how the world works, obsessed with messaging
- Must be able to work out of our office in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
The role of copySmith (copywriter) with MarketSmiths practices short- and long-form writing skills. In a given day, you might write a few compelling headlines, a pithy blog post, 1-2 snappy website pages, an engaging video script and/or a white paper for a known brand or a mix of household brands, energetic startups, and mid-sized businesses. You’ll learn how to evaluate writing at a glance--dissecting what it needs in an instant.
Come with a fresh and able mind. We'll teach you how to establish a position, thread data into that position, and then customize it all to a given format, audience, and objective. If you're a recent graduate, you'll be equipped with robust skills with which to grow your career. If you're more seasoned, you'll learn an entirely new way to approach communication.
Depending on your experience and progress, you will have the opportunity to advance from Copywriter to Senior Copywriter to Content Strategist, overseeing a team and cultivating your own clients.
We are currently accepting applications for an on-site role! Please note that when the position is filled, we will cease accepting applications—but we always welcome candidates to keep us in mind and apply at a later time!
Please email email@example.com. In the subject line, let us know if you’re applying for a Staff or Contract role.
Include 1) your resume, 2) 2-3 writing samples (not necessarily professional or marketing-based), and 3) a cover letter with answers to the following questions:
- What do you enjoy about writing? If you’re a professional writer, tell us why. If you’re not, tell us why writing is your next logical path?
- What do you like to read? Tell us a few recent books you've read, and list any publications you habitually consult.
- At 25, at 40, at 65: we are all learning something new (about how to live life better). What is the most important thing you've learned in the last decade?
- Tell us about a recent time you used the written word to persuade someone of something. What happened? Be specific, please.
Come fight alongside us! Together, we’ll win the war on bland.